Monday, April 4, 2011

Velo Coffee Roasters

I thought I was picky about my coffee, until I met this guy. Andrew Gage is the owner of Velo Coffee Roasters in Chattanooga, Tn. and when it comes to coffee he makes me look like a 80-year old grandma sippin on 6-month old stale Folgers with my buddies at the senior center (no offense grandma). Working on this project with Andrew definitely added a few notches in my "coffee snob" belt. But, in all seriousness, I had a blast working on this project and I really feel like it helped push me in the direction that I want to be going with my work. My goal with this piece was yes, to make a commercial. (gasp!). Yes, I know this is the most dreaded word in photojournalism, but damn it, it was fun. I have always prided myself in being ethical to a fault while on assignment, and for once the rules didn't apply. And I must admit it felt a little nice. However, all the creative freedom in the world can't make up for honest, genuine emotion so I approached this just like any other story. I simply wanted to get at the soul of what drives Andrew to make really, REALLY, damn good coffee. Hey, who says there can't be truth in advertising?

Hope you enjoy.

No comments: